St Nicholas’ is open to visitors between 9.00am and 5.00pm.
There were at least two earlier churches on or near the site of the present one, of which fragments remain in the exterior walls or elsewhere in the building. The imposing church which we see today was begun around 1380, almost certainly to the designs of two of the most celebrated masons/architects of the day, Henry Yeveley and William Wynford. whose work may be seen in the naves of Canterbury and Winchester Cathedrals respectively, and in other prestigious historic buildings of the period.
Built in flint and local stone, the church consists of two separate though integral parts. What appears today to have once been the chancel of the parish church was originally built for a College of Canons. Today it serves as a mausoleum (now known as the Fitzalan Chapel) for the Dukes of Norfolk, whose family still live in Arundel Castle, and whose ancestors mostly never forsook their Catholic faith after the Reformation.
Over the years the fabric of the church has suffered little alteration, but, in common with the majority of church buildings over the years, the interior arrangements have been frequently altered following religious upheavals and changes in architectural and liturgical fashion.
But St Nicholas Church still retains many features of some importance. Many of them are contemporary with the building: like the much moved Font: the remarkable stone Pulpit: a rare iron screen: Consecration Crosses: corbels: wall paintings: mason’s marks and graffiti of which Arundel has a remarkable quantity: an unusually large Royal Coat of Arms; the organ which occupies part of the north transept, and the recently renovated bells in the tower.